Do I have to attend a visa interview?

Yes.  You are required to schedule an attend a short interview at your nearest US Consulate.

Do I need a financial sponsor for the visa?

You only need a sponsor if you do not personally have the funds, or a student loan.

Can I apply for permanent residence on a student visa?

An F-1 visa does not provide a direct pathway to permanent residence.

What funds do I need to show during the visa process?

You are required to demonstrate you can support the costs of tuition and living during the first year.  You need to show funds in your account, sponsors account or provide proof of a student loan.

Am I authorized to work on an F-1 student visa?

Yes.  International students can apply for jobs on-campus and graduate assistantships.  In addition, Curricula Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) work programs provide opportunities for international students to work during and upon completion of your studies.

How much does it cost to apply for an F-1 student visa?

The DS160 fee is $160. The SEVIS fee is $350. Both fees are paid online, directly to the US Government.